Weekly newsletter: There is art left to be made in this world

This week: remembering Anthony Bourdain, books to read, and more....

View this email in your browser
A newsletter from the desk of Austin Kleon
there is art left to be made in this world - anthony bourdain

Hey y'all,

Here are 10 things I thought were worth sharing this week: 
 

  1. By the time I found out about Anthony Bourdain's death, last week's newsletter had already been sent. This one hit particularly hard (why are the good ones leaving and the terrible ones staying?) because I was just getting into his work: I'd read last year's profile in the New Yorker, and Parts Unknown became my go-to show on Netflix for when I was in-between things to watch. I spent a lot of time with him this week: I read the 1999 New Yorker piece that made him famous, started Kitchen Confidential, which is great, listened to him on Fresh Air and WTF, and read a bunch of his interviews like this one, where he makes fun of fancy beer drinkers. He had a whole worldview that I could get down with, and he will be missed. 
     
  2. Two books that helped me understand depression.
     
  3. I'm reading Horace's Epistles, and like so much ancient writing, they feel like one gigantic subtweet of our current moment. ("People are punished for whatever maddens their kings.")
     
  4. Eleanor Davis wrote and drew two of my favorite books I've read this year — You & a Bike & a Road and Why Art? — and for $5 you can read the first chapter of her new one and support her work.
     
  5. I'm impressed by the quality of the children's books published by Enchanted Lion. For a sampling, check out Blexbolex's Ballad and Vacation, Ohara Hale's Be Still, Life, and Kirsten Hall and Matt Forsythe's The Gold Leaf.
     
  6. Ear candy: Gladys Knight and the Pips' "On and On" and Schumann's "Traumerei."
     
  7. "The magic of a cardboard box," an excerpt from Alexandra Lange's new book, The Design of Childhood: How the Material World Shapes Independent Kids. (Can't wait to read this.)
     
  8. 18 new music books to read this summer. (I really want to read Questlove's Creative Quest, Ryan Walsh's Astral Weeks, and Joe Gross's 33 1/3 Fugazi book.)
     
  9. Corita Kent, the pop art nun. She features heavily in the new book I'm working on — she begins chapter five and chapter ten. If you like my books, you might like her book, Learning By Heart.
     
  10. Chattanooga! I am headed your way next week to chat with the mayor. Come on out! Details here.
Thanks for reading! If you like this newsletter and want to support it, forward it to a friend, buy a book, or tweet me some love.

If you're seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here.

xoxo, 

Austin

PS. Summer is a great time to start a journaling habit.
the steal like an artist journal

Austin Kleon is the author of Steal Like An Artist and other books.

Subscribe to this newsletter

 
Twitter
Website
Instagram
Copyright © 2018 Austin Kleon, All rights reserved.

My mailing address is:

Austin Kleon
4301 W. William Cannon Dr.
Suite B 150 #241
Austin, TX 78749

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

No comments:

YouTube/Music

"What's on TV? For Many Americans, It's Now YouTube - People spent nearly 10% of their TV-viewing time watching the service, ho...