Weekly newsletter: Knitting at the end of the world

This week: hobbies in times of crisis, libraries, telescopes, and more...

View this email in your browser
A newsletter from the desk of Austin Kleon
nux knitting

Hey y'all,

Here are 10 things I thought were worth sharing this week: 

  1. How hobbies can help in tough times.
     
  2. My adventures in library tourism continue: here's a report from my visit to the Chattanooga Public Library. Sometimes I feel silly about how much I evangelize for public libraries, but yesterday I was talking to a woman who hadn't been to our brand-new library here in Austin, and she asked, "Is it free?" (We have work to do!)
     
  3. Don't despair, watch the bears.
     
  4. What I saw on my first night with my new telescope. (Did you know NASA withheld high-res photos of the moon during the Cold War?) Also: Tomorrow is International Asteroid Day!
     
  5. When you draw things, you're in control. Want to see something with fresh eyes? Turn it upside down.
     
  6. The connection between memorization and creativity, Trent Reznor on boredom, Paul Schrader on stealing, and Jim O'Rourke on re-reading books and having too much gear.
     
  7. I am a huge fan of Laura Dassow Walls' biography of Thoreau. Here she recommends five books related to Thoreau.
     
  8. Ear candy: John Coltrane's lost album.
     
  9. Eye candy: my wife and I loved Sofia Coppola's The Beguiled. (Here she is profiled by one of my favorite film critics.)
     
  10. Reminder: "You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead."
Thanks for reading. If you like this newsletter and want to support it, forward it to a friend, buy a book, or tweet me some love.

If you're seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here.

xoxo, 

Austin

PS. Steal Like An Artist t-shirts are back on sale!
steal like an artist t-shirt

Austin Kleon is the author of Steal Like An Artist and other books.

Subscribe to this newsletter

 
Twitter
Website
Instagram
Copyright © 2018 Austin Kleon, All rights reserved.

My mailing address is:

Austin Kleon
4301 W. William Cannon Dr.
Suite B 150 #241
Austin, TX 78749

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

No comments:

YouTube/Music

"What's on TV? For Many Americans, It's Now YouTube - People spent nearly 10% of their TV-viewing time watching the service, ho...