Weekly newsletter: Notebook vs. washing machine

This week: notebook inspiration, books I'm reading, ear and eye candy, and more...

View this email in your browser
A newsletter from the desk of Austin Kleon
notebook vs. washing machine

Hey y'all,

Here are 10 things I thought were worth sharing this week: 

  1. Accidental art: my pocket notebook went through the washing machine.
     
  2. Notebook inspiration: An artist goes through his grandfather's memory books, photographer Bill Cunningham's unseen scrapbooks, and a disgruntled federal employee's 1980s desk calendar.
     
  3. A reminder at the end of a gross week: Beautiful things grow out of shit.
     
  4. After reading Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential, I started one of its influences: George Orwell's Down and Out in Paris and London.
     
  5. I took four plane flights this week and forgot the Orwell, but luckily I took along John Berger's last published book, Confabulations. It's a lovely, slim volume. Some of the essays can be sampled online, like "Impertinence" and "History is a meeting place." (If you don't know Berger's work, check out his classic, Ways of Seeing.)
     
  6. A warning to my readers.
     
  7. Ear candy: harpist Mary Lattimore. (I love her new album, Hundreds of Days.)
     
  8. Eye candy: New episodes of Grand Designs are up on Netflix. (For those of you in the UK, you have tons.) Two houses I loved that made me want to move back to Ohio and build in the country: this converted cowshed and this playful house.
     
  9. A portrait of the artist as a young father.
     
  10. RIP Koko the gorilla. (Here she is meeting Fred Rogers.)
Thanks for reading! If you like this newsletter and want to support it, buy one of my books, forward this email to a friend, or tweet me some love.

If you're seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here.

xoxo, 

Austin

Austin Kleon is the author of Steal Like An Artist and other books.

Subscribe to this newsletter

 
Twitter
Website
Instagram
Copyright © 2018 Austin Kleon, All rights reserved.

My mailing address is:

Austin Kleon
4301 W. William Cannon Dr.
Suite B 150 #241
Austin, TX 78749

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

No comments:

YouTube/Music

"What's on TV? For Many Americans, It's Now YouTube - People spent nearly 10% of their TV-viewing time watching the service, ho...