What’s your expiration date?


Hi Friend-

There are only 3 days left for you to use the code TIMETORESET to get $40 off when you register for RESET.

The discount code expires this Friday, September 20th at 5pm EDT. 

Speaking of expiration dates, I want to tell you about when I hit mine. 

I'm not talking about anything so morbid as my own death. I'm talking about when I realized that my current way of working was long past its "expiration date."
 


Back in 2013, I'd been working at a startup for about four years and I had been given the opportunity and the autonomy to make tons of cool stuff: A webby award-winning editorial website, a quarterly magazine, a huge annual conference. It was an extremely busy — but also heady — time. And I made the mistake of starting to get high on my own supply. 

I became intoxicated with my own productivity. Unable to ever be content with my own achievements, I decided to ratchet up the pace even further. I got wildly ambitious about what I, in my one little human body could accomplish, and decided to 3x my workload, adding multiple massive new projects of my own devising to an already intensive work schedule.

By the end of that year, it's true: I had produced a ton of incredible things. But what's also true is that I was a burnt out husk of a person.

I had no energy left to nourish myself. Whether that meant eating healthfully, exercising regularly, or just doing extracurricular activities for fun. My usual routine involved getting home from work at about 8pm at night with just enough energy to pour a glass of wine, order takeout, and watch Netflix until I passed out.

I had no energy left for building meaningful relationships. I had friends and I had a girlfriend, but I was so consumed by my workload, and the anxiety that it produced, that it made me selfish. I didn't have the bandwidth to truly engage with other people the way I wanted to, or to be a supportive partner.

And, even when I was at work, I had no energy left to savor any of my accomplishments when they actually arrived because I would always immediately shift my attention to next thing I had to accomplish. My ambitions and my overwhelming workload had pulled me out of the ability to be present in the moment. To just enjoy the process of making cool stuff. 

In short, I was creatively, emotionally, and physically burnout. 

But the reason it took me so long to figure it out was because it wasn't that I was listless or unproductive or disengaged from my work. Which would be the normal signs of burnout. 

The real problem was: All I was engaged with was my work. And that was causing me to work in a way that was utterly unsustainable.
 

And I think that's exactly what has happened to all of us over the past 10 years. To knowledge workers, and freelancers, and startup folks, and creative professionals, and entrepreneurs. We have slowly, almost unconsciously, drifted into working in a way that's completely unsustainable. 

Technology has taught us to work and to live and to consume media and ideas in a way that's leading us straight down a path to burnout. And I believe that we desperately need to recalibrate the way we work before it's too late. Before you become a burnt out over-achiever just like me back in 2013.

So that's the "origin story" of RESET.

It takes everything that I learned from rebuilding myself after my own "busyness breakdown" and combines it with my 10 years of research and hundreds of conversations about productivity and creativity.

The result is a super-distilled program that helps you "reset" the way you work in four key areas: working intentionally, aligning with the natural rhythms of your energy and attention, setting boundaries and saying no, and tapping into your creativity.

If this story of my slide into persistent overwork resonates with you, I think you'll find a lot of value in RESET. : )

Book your spot now: reset-course.com/register

Much love,
Jocelyn
 
 


Hi, I'm Jocelyn, the human behind this newsletter. I created the RESET course from scratch based on my research and personal experience. I also host Hurry Slowly — a podcast about how you can be more productive, creative, and resilient by slowing down. You can contact me at any time by replying to this email. πŸ€“


R E S E T
-
A cosmic tune-up for your workday.

www.reset-course.com
 
You're receiving this message because you signed up to receive more information about the RESET course, created by Jocelyn K. Glei.
Copyright © 2019 Hurry Slowly LLC, All rights reserved.

 Mailing address:
Hurry Slowly LLC
534 3rd Avenue, PMB #1119
BROOKLYN, NY 11215

Add us to your address book


Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

No comments:

YouTube/Music

"What's on TV? For Many Americans, It's Now YouTube - People spent nearly 10% of their TV-viewing time watching the service, ho...