Let the light through

Surprise me View in browser
e832fd0e-7fa9-452b-ad37-b96fc36dbf0d.jpg
600x300
Sarah Cain   

This week
I often hear from people, particularly journalists who are earlier in their career than I am, that they want to work for themselves. It's true that I am very happily self-employed and feel a thrill every time I use my Ladyswagger, Inc. credit card.

But I also recognize that there are some specific circumstances that have enabled me thrive: I was a magazine editor for years first, so even at the start I had a lot of contacts in my field. I used to be a boss, so it's not hard for me to manage my time and get things done. I don't have any kids, I don't support any family members, and I don't have any chronic health issues. I have an ownership stake in a few tiny businesses (33% of Call Your Girlfriend and 100% of this newsletter you're reading), which puts me in a very different stability and cashflow position than someone who is trying to make rent based solely on the contract work they get.

It's important to shine a light on all this stuff rather than just say "entrepreneurship is amazing!!" And so, on the podcast, Amina and I talk about all of these aspects of being self-employed, our failed early attempts at going freelance, and what we've learned while working for ourselves.

I'm reading
"This is a robbery," the note read, “hand over all your 50's and 100's, thanks." The Parkland shooting survivors on their heartbreak, one year later. Teen lovers reunite, 60 years later. Jenna Wortham on the changing definition of "femme." A princess plots her escape from the emirate ruled by her father. "To suggest women have arrived erases the fact that they have, in fact, always been here." Growing up in a cohousing community. A Native woman and an occult enthusiast on her decision to stop ignoring white witchery. How Mormons are using ideas about cryonics and the singularity to increase the religion's appeal to young people. A lobbyist and campaign strategist on Ilhan Omar's critique of AIPAC. Ryan Adams used promises of music-biz success to initiate sexual relationships, and then got abusive when he was turned down. "The concept of male genius insulates against all manner of sin." States are profiting off of gambling addicts who play scratch-offs. A town in Malaysia takes in tons and tons of plastic waste, and its residents pay a price. A transcribed master class in food writing with the late great Jonathan Gold. Ideophones are words that are especially vivid and evocative of sensual experiences. Patricia Lockwood on the internet as a portal.


Members only

Paying members see a hand-drawn chart here every single Friday! Today I'm letting you peek at what you're missing. If you like seeing my human handwriting in this digital space, consider paying just $5 for a whole year of charts. Click here to make it happen.

... and in a spirit of generosity and the interest of balancing some light with the dark, here's a second pie:
The Personal Emergency Pie

Here's that payment link one more time, too.

I'm looking & listening
"Afro-American Symphony" by William Grant Still, a black composer who is often left out of the canon.

GIFspiration
Opportunity's tracks. I know we have fully anthropomorphized this rover, but goddamnit if "My battery is low and it’s getting dark" isn't a poetic farewell. RIP. 

I endorse
Questioning "discovery" narratives. Maybe you, like me, were wowed this week by these photos of a black leopard in the wild—photos that were widely characterized in the U.S. press as the "first in more than a century":
A rare black leopard has been spotted in Africa for the first in more than 100 years
... except that isn't true. Kenyans were quick to point out that this was not a once-in-a-century sighting. It was merely a set of (gorgeous!) photos captured by a white photographer, not a local. Remarked my friend Dayo Olopade (whose book The Bright Continent, you should really read): "The search for the source of the Nile river was declared "won" when white explorers stumbled across it. But **3 million people** were living in the area at the time." Classic Columbusing! The black leopard is not the only thing that's alive and well.

You endorse
Blue Hallelujahs, a book of poetry. "I always say Blue Hallelujahs asks the question, If you're breathing what makes you alive? What does the heart eat? It eats the blues, ink on skin, brown bodies in kitchens, peaches, stars, and home." -Anonymous.

What do you endorse? Submit a link here.

IRL
Feb 21, Kansas City: Photographer Lara Shipley and I will be at the KC Public Library discuss our multimedia project about migration in the rural Midwest.

The Classifieds

Even smart entrepreneurs make 5 obvious mistakes when trying to grow a business. Set yourself up for success—and avoid these 5 big mistakes—in this free, live class with Marie Forleo. Save your spot here!
Had your memoir manuscript rejected? Join this free memoir masterclass and learn the #1 mistake wannabe authors make - and how to fix it.
Purpose-driven digital media agency seeks Account Director

Have you backed Pur·suit? Artist Naima Green is making a deck of playing cards and digital archive of queer womxn, trans, non-binary, and gender nonconforming people. Join the movement - 6 days left!

You, too, could place an ad in this newsletter.
They are extremely affordable! Click for rates and info.

Testimonials
Melody Kramer recently KonMari'd her newsletter subscriptions from 100+ down to 9... and this newsletter made the cut! Honored to spark inbox joy.

"I hosted a productivity panel recently and people were all like 'what resources (like books, newsletters) do you look to for thought leadership?' and I after everyone gave their expected responses, I was like 'F*$k it. Read what you love' and then heartily recommended your newsletter as something that i read immediately for insight and joy and someone that shows up as a real human." -Kelly. I'm not sure this newsletter is a productivity hack but I'm always flattered to be described as a real human being.

This newsletter's battery is running low. (Only because it hasn't had lunch yet.)
Forward it to your favorite odds-defying rover.



Ann Friedman
AF WEEKLY

MORE ANN
Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Ladyswagger, Inc.
PO Box 26932 | Los Angeles, CA 90026
© 2019


No comments:

YouTube/Music

"What's on TV? For Many Americans, It's Now YouTube - People spent nearly 10% of their TV-viewing time watching the service, ho...