Slowly but surely

Surprise me View in browser
e832fd0e-7fa9-452b-ad37-b96fc36dbf0d.jpg
600x300
Miriam Klein Stahl   

This week
There's really only one thing for me to say about the news this week: I believe and support Christine Blasey Ford.

I've been unplugged from the headlines for a few days, though, because last night was my first Pop Up Magazine show, and it had me thinking about how sweet it can be when things come together slowly. Like most media people, I sometimes tell myself that if something doesn't happen quickly it's never going to come to fruition. What a lie! Pop Up founder Doug McGray first emailed me about contributing in 2009. I said, yes, sure, I'll let you know when I have the right idea... Six years later, my friend and collaborator Lara Shipley and I started working on our project. And now, nine years after that email from Doug and three years after Lara and I started hunting around for a story to tell about the rural Midwest, we finally find ourselves on stage. It feels great. (Don't worry if you can't see the tour live—we're working on adapting this work for other, more shareable venues.) Shout out to all of you who are working on slowly developing, years-long projects that don't have a financial motivation or a clear path just yet.

On the podcast this week, our guest is journalist Annie Lowrey, author of the new book Give People Money, all about universal basic income. And I was interviewed by Sinclair Caesar about this newsletter, among other things.

I'm reading
Anita Hill on Brett Kavanaugh. Why the system is too broken to assess sexual assault claimsA letter to the U.S. Senate from survivors of sexual assault. Why on earth is the GOP standing by Kavanaugh? He might not face consequences, but women will. How the law treats teens who didn't grow up like Kavanaugh. Hell no, Sarah Huckabee Sanders. Hell yeah, Tammy Duckworth. What happens when a prominent evangelical Christian woman starts speaking out about sexism. The Dutch teenage girls who took up arms against the Nazis. A serial killer in the Border Patrol. A devastating story from the flooding in North Carolina. A Midwest memoir. Busybody journalism. I love that mental health first-aid courses are a thing. Women candidates forge friendships on the campaign trail. The radical friendship of James Baldwin and Lorraine HansberryEve Babitz on Jim Morrison. A Chinese megastar disappears. The magic kingdom of Meow Wolf. How to cook curry and get a spacecraft to Mars. Tips for a minimal-effort dinner party from the fabulous George McCalman. The 13 people you meet in the comments of Refinery29's Money Diaries. What to wear to heal a broken heart. All hail the caftan, the modern mode of power-dressing. All hail ranch, a different kind of power dressing. xoxo, Ann


Members only
Become a paying member for just $5/year. [This is a secure site that takes all major credit cards but, unfortunately, not PayPal. For now.] I'd love your support. What are you missing? Click here to see what these pie charts are all about.

I'm looking & listening

GIFspiration
Trying to adopt this relaxed posture while hurtling through time and space.

I endorse
Turning off Gmail "smart replies." Sounds great, thanks! I'm on it! Will do! Done!

Your travel tips
Last week I asked for tips from frequent travelers, and you all really delivered! Here are some of your tips:

I try to make travel easy by having clothes that are easy to pack, in bags that I like to use such as Away’s carry-on (because I like the battery), Lo & Son’s OMG overnight bag and Waverly belt bag. I always have a dopp kit on hand that is fully packed and ready to go. My wardrobe is almost entirely black when I travel so I don’t have to think about coordination. The fewer decisions that I have to make, the better. (Bích Ngแปc Cao)

Liquid IV! I know you love staying hydrated and this stuff is amazing, it's a little packet of powder that you pour in a glass of water and it has a ton of electrolytes. They were designed for aid workers to give to severely dehydrated people. I drink it every day but I often have two a day when I'm traveling and it really helps. (My preferred flavors are lemon lime and passion fruit) (Alison Wade)

Stay in the same hotel chain and use the same airlines whenever possible. It might cost more but it gives you familiarity bc the products and smells and menus etc are similar and your brain does less WHY ARENT WE HOME craziness. Also helps w loyalty points. Or get an airline or hotel partner to sponsor it. And get an airline lounge membership. If you don’t have airline status look into getting an airline credit card to get early boarding access. Worth it. (Sarah Kunst)

keeping full seasons of RuPaul's Drag Race on my phone for when the hotel TV isn't cutting it. (Alison Wade)

1) face masks, lots of face masks, I like the Sephora brand, especially the mud sheet and 2) schedule down time or your time will be scheduled for you! Oh and a portable charger. Anker is good. (Kate Nicoletti)

Take time away to be alone and not ‘on’ when you need. If you can’t stand another morning of hotel buffet breakfast, take the time to find a cafe and sit on your own and not have to talk to anyone. (Amy Huva)

Going to bed early af -- I don't have dishes or laundry or anything to do like at home, so why am I still awake? (Jenn Bollenbacher)

Do you want to endorse something that's not related to extreme amounts of air travel?  Submit a link here.

IRL
I'm on tour with Pop Up Magazine!
Sept 21San Francisco
Sept 22San Francisco
Sept 25D.C.
Sept 27Brooklyn
Sept 29Los Angeles
Oct 2Portland
Oct 3Portland
Get $5 off your tickets with the code ART5 at checkout.

Or, find me at some great literary events in Los Angeles:
Oct 8: In conversation with Heather Havrilesky about her new essay collection
Oct 10: In conversation with Leah Dieterich about her new memoir, Vanishing Twins

And then I'll be on tour with Call Your Girlfriend!
Oct 21San Francisco
Oct 23Portland
Oct 24Seattle
Oct 26Chicago
Oct 28Minneapolis
Oct 30Washington, DC
Nov 2Philadelphia
Nov 3Brooklyn
Nov 4Somerville, MA

The Classifieds

Are you a lady looking to get your podcast idea off the ground? Werk It, *the* women's podcast festival is coming this Nov. in NYC. Register now for two days of conversations, 1-on-1 workshops with industry leaders, and the opportunity pitch your podcast to WNYC Studios.
The Vault is home to intimate, illustrated stories by women. Read “Forest Fires,” a story about losing someone close to you, for free.
LAST CHANCE: At tomorrow’s brunchwork launch, sip mimosas, get career advice & learn from leaders at Spotify and Techstars.

what can you do with an English degree, anyway? after words is an interview series and career resource featuring former English majors doing interesting things. We add new interviews every week - follow after words on Instagram to stay updated on their thoughtful career advice.

Sad Desk Lunch got you down? Spice up your food life with This Needs Hot Sauce. A weekly newsletter delivered from Brooklyn to your inbox every Monday

Support Wild Heart, Peaceful Soul, a poetry book for strong, vulnerable, badass women who lead with their hearts, love deeply & fall hard.

I'm not sure what happened, but you're all buying a lot of ads lately! There's limited space between now and the end of the year. Lock it down.

Testimonials
"If you don't already subscribe to @annfriedman 's weekly newsletter, you should. @uajschool students: Pay attention to my recommendation on this b/c it's a great way to learn what makes a successful e-newsletter. You're welcome." -Renee Schafer Horton. The pleasure's all mine.

This newsletter is taking it slow.
Forward it to someone you've been meaning to work with for a long time.



Ann Friedman
AF WEEKLY

MORE ANN
Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Ladyswagger, Inc.
PO Box 26932 | Los Angeles, CA 90026
© 2018


No comments:

May 15 - What to know from Amazon’s first upfront | Gap Inc. selects Omnicom as media AOR

Gap Inc. selects Omnicom as media AOR, reorganizes key media functions; Inside Expedia’s plan to be the world’s travel m...