Re-Atlanta Rhythm Section

Hi Bob!

I was at Beaver Creek yesterday for some mountain biking before the rain ... stayed for the ARS show. Having played them on the radio since they first broke in the 70s, I was curous to see this cover band. Most memorable scene was the mom walking in with 3 little girls in tow, each of the kids with their hands over their ears and their faces showing agony. Promised myself to stay until they played one of the big hits... it was "So Into You" which included an excruciating extended jam/guitar solo. I left after that, along with at least a third of the rest of the audience... and the band had a half-hour to go... 

Best,
 
Tom Fricke

________________________________

In 1980, ARS played a college show at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma where I was a student. The student body was the promoter, and we lost our shirt - like really blew the total ASB budget out of whack for the year.

I was the head of concerts as a Senior in 1983 - after 2 years without a "Headliner" show,  We had a chance to book Jimmy Buffet acoustic on the "Somewhere over China" tour with very favorable economics. Due to the ARS Fiasco I couldn't get it approved, so we had to pass and went with a Jeff Lorber featuring Kenny G ... We were fortunate to turn a nice profit , and build back some goodwill , but passing on Jimmy Buffet haunts me.

Thanks
John Maltman

________________________________

The Atlanta Rhythm Section = Steely Dan with cowboy hats?

Formed from the ashes of The Classics IV and Roy Orbison's band The Candymen (who also launched the career of Bobby Goldsboro).

I saw ARS about ten years ago - Dean Daughtry and Rodney Justo were still with them - on a triple bill with Pure Prairie League and Firefall.

Best southern rock guitar clinic ever.

Vince Welsh

________________________________

Hi Bob, 

Long time reader, Agree with some of your opinions, not so much others, but this review of the ARS is SPOT ON!!  These guys are purveyors of snake oil!  

I grew up on ARS in Atlanta in the 70s, went to every Champagne Jam in the late 70s at Georgia Tech's Grant Field.  From R. Hammond's vocals to Dean Daughtry's sublime keyboard foundation and songwriting, to Barry Bailey's singing guitar sound, ARS was indeed the Steely Dan of southern rock.  They were grizzled studio vets who, together, created a sound like no other.  I've heard a recent "greatest hits" recording from the band with the "no hit maker" lineup, and they are lame, but live it is even worse. 
I don't think I've ever read a review where you crucified a band like this, but think it is well deserved in this case.  They need to stop trampling the ARS name...in the name of ARS.  

Oh, and totally agree...Dog Days is the BEST of their compositions still today.  I originally heard it and also HAD to own it.  Mike McCarty's artwork on all of their albums was also very cool.  

Will McBride

________________________________

July 4th, 1978. Saw Rolling Stones in Buffalo's Rich Stadium. The line up was: April Wine, Journey (Had never heard of them. No one had. Bought the album the next day.), Atlanta Rhythm Section and the Stones. Quite the fall over those decades!

Gary Sender

________________________________

I saw the "ARS" in a small Tuscaloosa, AL club in 89'.  They still had original members keyboardist, Dean Daughtry and the lead guitarist, Barry Bailey.  Barry Bailey was a great lyrical lead guitarist. 

They played Champagne Jam as an encore.  The instrumental break in the song was all Barry Bailey playing and I mean he was wailing. The audience members were jumping up and down to the beat of this instrumental shuffle break and the floor was moving up and down to the beat of the tune!  The place was pulsing…

Tim Pringle

________________________________

A few days before my senior year of high school, in the August Dog Days of Georgia, I was at a Rum and Coke party out in the country. Despite nightfall, it was still hot. A group of us went for a drive, spiked, icy, sweating MicDonald's coke cups in hand with the windows down.  We noticed a glow in the distance. Of course we investigated. We came upon a field to the left where in the center we witnessed a large wooded barn, in a solitary setting, totally consumed in the magnificent yellow and oranges of a fire. As we pulled over to watch, out of my Thunderbird's speakers came Dog Days. We absorbed that song as we enjoyed the sight. So fitting. No firetrucks yet, just crackle and Dog Days. We all give each other a buzzed knowing look.  I want to go back Bob. I want to go back.

David Thomson

________________________________

3 of the best shows I've seen this year have been heritage acts with only one original member. I was more than skeptical but wanted to hear the music played live so I took a chance and had my meager expectations blown completely out of the water! If you get a chance and have any interest at all make an effort to see 10cc, Jon Anderson with the Band Geeks, and Os Mutantes while they're on the road right now. You will not be disappointed!

Doyle Davis
Grimey's Records

________________________________

Kinda glad I didn't see this.....Doraville has always slain me, one of the songs that came to Juneau in the mid-late 70's with my then roommate there in Juneau, a fierce Southern Boy drummer biker dude from Jacksonville straight out of Central Casting, who I always thought must be running from something back home, cause he always had a vibe of something about to go hard left about him...he turned me on to ARS, and Doraville was what sealed it for me....but those guys were serious session guys whose groove was thick and solid, and that guy could sing... I'm glad I didn't see the karaoke version, that woulda bummed me out hard, bums me out just to hear about it. And BTW, that bass player was monstrously good.

Wade Biery

________________________________

Ahhh yes, Ronnie Hammond and the original ARS...one of the great lead singers..the guitarists were pretty good too.. Yeah dead bands...I live near Daryl's House in Pawling NY...and all we seem to get is tribute bands...Like a Styx/REO Speedwagon/Joni/Janis/Jimi/Johnny Cash June Carter tribute acts...

Chip Lovitt

________________________________

Glad you brought this up. I love these bands like ARS, Guess Who, etc but hate what these fake bands do to their legacies. They even put out new albums which all suck and in my opinion hurt the real artists histories. Burton Cummings from The Guess Who goes after the GW fake band on social media and I applaud him for trying to warn fans of these imposters. And by the way The Guess Who is still NOT even considered for the Rock Hall which is ridiculous… I will say the Skynyrd concert I saw in March was great and honored the original band better than I thought was possible so I do give them a break..I am old and know rock n roll music better than most and could go on and on and on:). But won't for now. Thanks Bob and keep listening to the great and Real ARS. By the way I saw them several times and they could Play and Sing! What a concept. Van Fletcher

________________________________

Rolling Stone is so disappointing, it's like a bad cover band trying to perform like the original members and totally failing.  So that story is kinda ironic.

Leaving aside the issue of the ownership of the Molly Hatchet name (the story's section on them doesn't read right to me), they include the Ventures, actually mention the current drummer by name, but don't point out that he took the drum chair in place of his father, Mel Taylor, upon his passing.  That's at least some credible link, but goes unmentioned.

Toby Mamis

________________________________

I am a native of Atlanta. I grew up in Decatur, just a few miles from Doraville. Started attending concerts in 1972, including Fleetwood Mac opening for Deep Purple and 2 nights of the ABB (with Berry, never saw Duane, the most influential musician of my entire life). All 3 shows were in the first week of my junior year of hs. What a week! 

I saw ZZ Top on August 30, 1974. Excited to see them. A fan since Rio Grande Mud. Tres Hombres was just out. Went into the show with GREAT anticipation to see this hot group and walked out that evening.....with Atlanta Rhythm Section tunes in my head! I was blown away by this band I had never heard of. Went out the very next day and bought Third Annual Pipe Dream. Then I had to go back and get the first 2 albums. The second album, Back Up Against The Wall is excellent. Go listen to the song Conversation from that album. Just beautiful. My favorite tune they ever played.

The Dog Days album was a monster. I know that So Into You was what made them blow up nationally, but here in Atlanta, they blew up with Dog Days and stayed on top for years. And I didn't even like So Into You. It was a departure from the early stuff. It just seemed too commercial. My interest waned after that. I saw them several times but not after they made it big nationally. To this day I still play their early records.

Zombie bands should be stopped. If you want to be a tribute band, go for it. At least people know what they are getting. There are many Allman Brothers tribute bands, with names like Live At The Fillmore. I'm sure they are entertaining but I would never pay to see them. With over 50 ABB concerts under my belt, why would I?

Neal Barfield
Atlanta, GA

________________________________

"Yes, the Atlanta Rhythm Section was on Polydor. Not quite as bad as Decca and MCA, but still pretty bad, even worse than RCA, which was a Mickey Mouse label."

That's insulting. There was a core group of veteran promotion and press people abetted by many newbies at Polydor, who busted their ass for The Atlanta Rhythm Section. "So Into You" was not an easy cross over. I remember Bob Pittman at some Chicago Top40 saying that "his research" came back saying that the track was "not a hit" when it was #5 nationally in Billboard. ARS got the ball rolling and we had success with many other artists (especially rock) over the next decade. I don't have to cite them chapter and verse. ARS eventually moved to Columbia and had no success there before breaking up. Say what you may about "labels" from the 70s and 80s, but here's some food for thought. If ARS were on Warners. the powers-that be- might have been satisfied with sales of 200,000 because they had plenty of those "respected acts" (eg Bonnie Raitt) and their high priorities like Rod Stewart, Madonna, Prince etal were the sacred cows of mainstream promotion. At Polydor (subsequently PolyGram), when we got our foot in the door we worked extra hard to break the damn door down. By the way ARS' manger and producer was Buddy (not Barry) Buie. "So Into You" was far bigger than "Imaginary Lover." An interesting side note- after So Into You, Polydor's head of promotion, Arnie Geller, left to go into business with Buddy Buie. ARS's summer extravaganzas in Atlanta, "Champagne Jam" attracted upwards of 50,000 in a football stadium at the same time they were playing clubs in the northeast. This Bronx Yid loved those guys. Indeed RIP.

-Jerry Jaffe

________________________________

Hilarious read! I can't recall you panning anything like this.

If you haven't already, check out ARS' last real studio album 1999's Eufaula. Contains some of their best work since Champagne Jam - especially Barry Bailey's guitar work.

The last time I saw them they toured to support that album and played The Wolf Den at Mohegan Sun in CT. They still had it.

Bob Levy

________________________________

All I can say I read the subject and thought… "this won't be good"

Tom Clark 

--
Visit the archive: lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple: apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, Unsubscribe

To change your email address this link

No comments:

Sept. 18 - Bonobos’ first campaign since bankruptcy buyout | Suntory’s Japanese-style ad

Suntory juices up US canned cocktail launch with Japanese-style ad; Dentsu supports next-gen creatives with House of Cre...