Re-10cc At The United Theater

Hi Bob

You never fail to take me back to the music I grew up with.

And I immediately wanted to be with you at The United Theatre.

So off I went, and what a show it was :)

"10cc - Donna - United Theater - Los Angeles, CA August 15, 2024"

youtu.be/zRB1iPmKAVM?si=UHbjcKR_oRS0zbAh

With love and appreciation 

Paul Holdom 

_________________________________

Hey, Bob: you really said it beautifully in your piece on 10cc.  I've been a lifelong fan since the beginning, and in fact saw them in 1978 in Cleveland on the same tour that you saw them.  I was delighted to see that they were touring the States this summer. Jill and I caught the show in Kent, OH on July 30. It was everything you said in your piece and more!!  In fact, they were so great that we trekked down to Cincinnati on Aug. 4 to see them again!! It was another perfect performance. Yes, it is no longer the full original band, but they did not lack for singing skills. In fact, their harmonies were staggering both nights. Your reference to The Beach Boys was right on-I don't think there is another live band who can pull off those intricate vocal arrangements night after night. The word missing from the reviews I've read is "intelligence," and it applies both to the words they have written and arranged, but to their tasteful playing as well.  Also, their collective sense of humor is…well…ridiculous! If 10cc's music is new to anyone out there, let me suggest a silly but brilliant song from the "Deceptive Bands" album called, "I bought A Flat Guitar Tutor", in which the words they sing are also the names of the chords to the song!!!!!  Think about THAT!!  Rumor has it that the band will return to the States next year.  If it happens, do not miss this unique and talented band.  They blew us away all over again.  Thanks for telling your audience about them.  

Jimmy Fox

PS: in reading this back, I think I sound like a groupie. I guess maybe I am.  Damn, what a band!!!!!!!

_________________________________

Bob: Couldn't agree with you more. The a cappella version of DONNA and their rendition of FEEL THE BENEFIT were worth the price of the ticket. Prior to this L.A. show, like you I last saw 10cc at the Santa Monica Civic in 1978. Emailing you from Oakland Airport after seeing 10cc for the second time in 48 hours (at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco). By the way, I brought friends (now converts) to both shows - just like I did back in the day.  Bob Paris

_________________________________

Spot on, Bob.

I was also at Santa Monica Civic on November 1, 1978. 

Early in my tenure at Virgin Megastore, 10cc released a "reunion" album of sorts, and I hoped for a US tour, but that just couldn't happen in the new musical climate of 1992.

Thursday night was magnificent beyond my expectations. I literally bought my tickets solely to witness "Feel The Benefit" once again after 46 years.

Many of my "music business" colleagues were sitting amongst me, also participating in my many standing ovations. 

I felt like we were in some private club for a few hours. 

10cc is as relevant now as they were 51 years ago...

Bruce Kilgour

_________________________________

Thanks for writing this review Bob.

My wife and I saw 10CC two weeks ago in Cincinnati.  Admittedly, I was only familiar with three of their songs - I'm Not in Love, The Things We Do for Love, and Dreadlock Holiday.  We were more than pleasantly surprised with the show.  So many great tunes and musicianship.  

We expanded our appreciation of the band's work hearing tunes like Donna, Rubber Bullets, Silly Love, etc. for the first time. 

Great to see the three veterans of the band and Andy Park was impressive with vocals and the number of instruments he played - sometimes simultaneously.

I'm glad you had the same impression we did with their show.

Steve Edwards

_________________________________

You are spot on! Saw them in Phila last month. Art for Art's Sake, Wall Street Shuffle, The Things We Do For Love, I'm Not in Love and Dreadlock Holiday. Wow! While they played those songs, I couldn't help but think that if you told me in 1976 that I'd be watching them perform fifty years later well, you know the rest…
Would have loved to hear Graham sing No Milk Today but he stayed true to the music and the band…the things we do for love.

jeffsackstennis

_________________________________

My wife, Carmen, and I went to see 10CC's final show on the tour at the Palace of Fine Arts theater in San Francisco last night, Saturday. Much like your comments, we were blown away. The place seemed sold out, with 1000 seats. I was not a super fan; I always liked them and have most of their records, but I have not listened to them often or in-depth for years. I did not fit the demographic last night. Nearly everyone knew and sang along with the band on every song, even the new song done with Brian May. They did not phone it in. They were authentic, great musicians and performers who seemed to enjoy themselves. I was going to tell you how much we enjoyed them and this ground-breaking experience, and then your note came into my email box. I would have watched the show over again, too. Thanks for mentioning this excellent performance. It was one of the best shows we have seen in memory, and we often go out to listen to live music.    

Steve Greene

_________________________________

We were there, Bob. Yes, it was wonderful.  Brought tears to my eyes and took me back to 1974.  Donna was my intro, Sheet Music was my education.  I'm so glad they came to our town.  

Daniel Rosen

_________________________________

With 10cc, you had four people who could all write...  and all sing a hit song. That was pretty incredible. I saw them in my hometown earlier this month. All I had heard was that it was their first appearance in Saint Louis since 1975, which seemed impossible for such an important band. So I bought tickets without checking who was still in the band.
 
When I got there and realized that Gouldman was the only original band member left, I was kind of bummed. But I did not go home disappointed. Material that good just needs an airing by somebody. And in Gouldman's loving and capable hands, with the help of some more-recent 10cc  members, that material came off great. (As you expounded upon)
 
You had mentioned the Jewishness of Jonathan Richman and Joey Ramone in your Greg Kihn obituary. Surprised you didn't mention it here. The Times of Israel called 10cc "the most successful three-quarters Jewish band in history." And they were from Britain, not Brooklyn! I think it came through in their humor, all the way back to when they were known as Hot Legs and recorded "Neanderthal Man".

Emmett McAuliffe Esq.

_________________________________

What a great experience 10cc are today Bob!. We hosted them in the ICC Sydney smaller theatre (2,000 seats) back in June 2023 and it was a real blast. Exceeded everyone's expectations. UP there being one of the tightest bands of the year. It didn't sell to the back row,  but it should have. They did 20 dates on the Australian leg, Talk about a work ethic. Your readers should see this one if they can, it won't disappoint, as you already know.

Don Elford

_________________________________

One of the best I have ever seen live, and I have seen many.

Graham Williams

_________________________________

Amen to That Bob – 10cc – Genius's at work – observational brilliance and fabulous music sprinkled with sardonic humour – irresistible I always loved them – mostly recorded by an unsung genius from Stockport near Manchester called Richard Scott – the engineering is amazing.

Warm Regards
Jonathan Miller 

_________________________________

I recall buying Sheet Music, I think I was about 14. It was like nothing else I was listening to at the time - which ranged from Elton John to Sparks and everything in between. I bought all their records through Deceptive Bends—I thought they were the best band I had ever heard, and was particularly blown away by The Original Soundtrack. I also had the thrill of meeting Godley and Creme when I was 17 and working as an intern for WYSP in Philadelphia, when they came in for an interview.

When my daughter was in high school, which was a small independent school that Daniel Pink referred to in his book Drive as "turning the 'one size fits all' approach of conventional schools on its head", I had the delight of teaching a class on the music of 10cc. It was a fantastic experience I'll never forget.

Hope you continue to experience the joy of having seen 10cc!

warm regards
Debra Bouchegnies

_________________________________

They were a huge on Montreal FM.stations (CHOM FM)  And not just the hits (I'm not in love, Things We Do For Love etc)
I'm talking about :
Rubber Bullets
Wall Street Shuffle 
The Dean and I
The Worst Band In The World

Thanks for the trip down memory lane

David Boloten

_________________________________

I was wondering if you were at 10cc! We've never met, but I'm of the same vintage and we have very similar tastes (I've seen 10cc twice, last Thursday and on Nov. 26, 1975 at the Santa Monica Civic; I think I missed the '78 show because I was in my 2nd year of law school). And of course I knew every word, as did everyone around us. While I missed Eric Stewart, Lol Creme and Kevin Godley (to this day the SM Civic show is among my favorites), I had no complaints about Fenn, Burgess, Park or Hayman. They were every bit as wonderful as you noted. Probably better. But that first show was amazing, and included Une Nuit a Paris, which I still love. (I loved the SM Civic. Among many others I saw there: Joe Cocker/Mad Dogs; David Bowie, Johnny Winter, J. Geils, Peter Frampton, Traffic, Supertramp, Derek & the Dominoes, ELP, ELO, Steely Dan, Lou Reed, Roxy Music, Sparks. . .)

Jeffrey Wruble

_________________________________

Great review Bob, I bought The Original Soundtrack soon after my wife and I separated in '75, me 25, she 21, I swear it and How Dare You got me through my divorce with many wry smiles.
 
Tony Barnes from downunder  

_________________________________

10CC were always the dog's bollocks. Some of us have always known….since Hotlegs!

Hugo Burnham

_________________________________

Great piece on 10cc 
That band did very well in Canada over the years. The polygram team worked them non stop and they did the same when Godley and Crème left to do their own thing 
We all have our favorite songs. Me, it's I'm Mandy fly me. So well crafted so different than the other pop stuff and so smart 
Big fan of Eric Stewart. Always reminded me of master Paul. Ironically they eventually worked together of a few McCartney projects way back. 
As for Graham Gouldman , he's one of rock music unsung heroes. When you realize all he's done in his 50+ year career , you get it 
Thanks for putting some light on this outstanding band. 
Mario Lefebvre
Montréal 
Envoyé du iPhone de Mario

_________________________________

I'm envious, NO 10cc tour for Toronto or Canada, BUMMER! 

In so far as Sabrina Carpenter and Chappell Roan, pfft.

Olie Kornelsen

_________________________________

Saw them back in 1978 in Germany when I was in the army, it was a great show, jealous you just saw them!! 

Doug Gillis

_________________________________

Bob, I was a massive fan, and upon trying to lure friends into the web, I said, they are what the Beatles would have become if they had stayed together!, bloody tourists was every bit the equal to sheet music, in my opinion, doug bell, Bellevue Cadillac Band

_________________________________

So great you enjoyed 10cc Bob. 

One of The Great 1970's  -  but now receding in the public consciousness - British bands like SuperTramp, ELO, Barclay James Harvest and Manfred Mann's  Earthband amongst others… 

although as you say they sounded like no one else, perhaps they are akin to being the UK's Steely Dan in terms of their unique qualities?

Stephen Budd

_________________________________

These guys wrote great songs! Besides what you mentioned, there was "I'm Mandy Fly Me," "Life Is A Minestrone," "Good Morning Judge," "Dreadlock Holiday," "For You and I," a multitude of riches. I'm sorry they didn't come through my neck of the woods, I would have gone to the show!

_________________________________

Carl Nelson
Woodstock, MD

_________________________________

I saw them the week before last in Nashville with my son who insisted that we go. Very small crowd but that meant I got to stand right in front of Graham Gouldman all night. It was like a private show. And boy can they still play. "I'm Mandy Fly Me" has lost none of its weird magic.

They don't write or sing 'em like that anymore.

Best
David Vawter

_________________________________

In some ways, the funnier,  pop side of progressive rock. 10cc are pioneers, and I had a Gizmotron, an original version. 

"I'm Not in Love" is a masterclass in creative studio production.

Total fan. Glad to hear they "wowed" you

fritzdoddy 

_________________________________

Absolutely love your enthusiasm - this email is a perfect example!
I'm Mandy, Fly Me and Good Morning Judge are my favourites. Feel The Benefit is right up there too - what a band - as good as Lennon/McCartney as songwriters imho.

Cheers
Andy Fordyce

_________________________________

I love love love 10cc!
I am envious… good for you!

Brad Merritt

_________________________________

Such a great band - and it's so fun to play songs by these guys for my wife and tell her "yea, that's the same band that did the song ""I'm Not in Love""
"Dreadlock Holiday" freaked her out-nope not a reggae band !! 
Thanks for always keeping us hip to the good stuff.  

Craig Carrick
Clarkston, MI

_________________________________

Barry Lyons and our crew saw 10cc — the original four — play the Buffalo State College gym right after I'm Not In Love (on Mercury) hit and place was still half-empty.  We were on to them early from their singles on UK (distributed by London not Mercury). A spectacular show captured somewhere on cassettes by my snuck-in Sony TC-224. Guess I need to look for 'em.

Btw, Graham Goldman's new solo album is pretty, pretty good too.

Richard Pachter

_________________________________

Started with Sheet Music, worked my way back, and then kept buying their LPs thru Deceptive Bends. What a band! "I'm Mandy, fly me..."

Ross Field

_________________________________

Hi Bob. Smiling throughout your entire review! Had the exact same experience of pure musical joy! Saw them in a 1,200 seat theater outside of Philly.  You could tell there were a lot of die hard fans. I only knew the three hits but knew that they were a very talented band and I was intrigued after your interview with Graham on your podcast. Every song was brilliant! I go to see a lot of live music and I have to say that I haven't heard an audience roar with gratitude in a very long time!

Gary Sender

_________________________________

I WAS AND AM STILL A 10CC FAN FROM DAY ONE. BOUGHT THEIR FIRST ALBUM THE WEEK IT CAME OUT. AND EVERY OTHER ALBUM AFTER. i had tickets for a show in Detroit late 70's/early 80'a but was cancelled. Never got to see them. Glad you did. Twice now. Great band. Great songs. 
Lee Bryan from Detroit. Take care. 

_________________________________

Hey Bob, my name is Dan Birkbeck, my friend Dick Huey sent me your review on the 10cc show in LA. It's a shame that probably only music nerds read what you wrote, as I am not aware of the publication and accordingly would never have been exposed. What you have created was a perfect rehash of what I saw on their last show at the San Francisco Palace Fine Arts. a little background… 

My brother passed away from prostate cancer two years ago much too young at the age of 62. He used to listen to this crazy band 10 CC in our family's basement growing up in Michigan. Of course, as his little brother, I couldn't help but be ruptured by what I heard. "Feel the Benefit" is one of my all-time favorite songs, and I began sobbing when they played it and I experienced the beauty and clarity you describe. Well, I didn't know majority of the songs as you apparently do,but  I appreciated them with the same enthusiasm . Thank you for doing what you do and your summary brought me goosebumps. 

All my best, keep it up.

Dan Birkbeck

_________________________________

Being a Brit and one of my oldest Music Biz friends Steve Parker being their (10cc) booking agent I know and love this band, the big problem they have is that people know the name but don't immediately put the songs to them, it has taken a few years of promotion to put the two together but now they are selling out Theatres and they are really an amazing band and so talented and of course the songs to match.

An amazing night out, probably one of your best shows.

Kindest,

Sir Harry Cowell

_________________________________

Hi Bob,

I was hoping you were there and was looking forward your perspective. 

I couldn't agree more. The folks all around me knew every song in the setlist (easy to find nowadays) but we still high-fived in delight at the opening bars of such golden nuggets as 'Clockwork Creep' and 'Feel The Benefit'. Oh, we wanted to hear the hits for sure. But 10cc is a band whose oeuvre is more defined by their 'deep cuts' than a small handful of hits, many of which never crossed to the US. 

My first exposure to 10cc was 'Rubber Bullets' which received heavy rotation on KYA AM in San Francisco. I went straight to my local record shop (Banana Records) and put it on my dad's system while he was at work. Yes, their debut is riddled in pastiche but oh my what a biting sense of satire lurked behind every track. And the production! I was gob smacked by the details in every track.

Of course, we now know that each of the original members had been in 'the biz' for quite some time and that they had their own recording studio (Strawberry) and had recorded dozens of singles and albums for other artists or under other monikers before making their debut album.

But it was 'Sheet Music' that stripped away the 50s/60's pastiche and now here was a band that had all of the potential to be "The New Beatles". I didn't grow up with the Beatles. 10cc were my Beatles and their second album was my 'Revolver'. 

Sadly, after only two more brilliant albums the band split into two and all that potential fell by the wayside. Both factions still produced some fine music, 'Freeze Frame' by Godley & Creme is a masterwork, but the palpable magic of those four original members making music together is sadly lost. 

The current touring band does a remarkable job of reminding us of an amazing body of work that still resonates when expertly performed by a caring and capable band of musicians who know what these songs mean to the fans.  

Bravo.

Lee Elliott

_________________________________

That's such a great review Bob, however, many of us in attendance were not "super fans" of 10cc. I was going to law school and working full time and listening to their music in the car on cassette, years before my music business career started. My "date" wasn't born yet. However, like everyone else in attendance at the beautiful Ace Theater, we found ourselves in what I would call a progressive pop/rock experience, with each member of a cohesive band excelling on each part. This was not formula music. There were tempo changes, style changes, key changes and fun intellectual lyrics, in each of the songs, with loads of the harmonies I love. Everyone knows "The Things We Do For Love" and it is a great song, but how often do you hear "new music" (new to me anyway) and become captured by an incredibly brilliant performance. 

And why are all the great bands I am seeing from the UK? So far this year it's been Alan Parsons, Al Stewart, what's left of the Moody Blues, a live version of the Beatles' White Album at the Grammy Museum, with Jeff Lynn's ELO next weekend, Ringo Star a couple of weeks later, and British Lion and Tony Moore (of Iron Maiden heritage) in the wings. 
I grew up in LA, but the British Invasion carried me away and gave birth to new sounding American pop, which was competing along side with the California country/folk/pop/rock artists hanging in Laurel Canyon and Hollywood and the Motown sound. 

So, I find myself with all these great classic bands playing music from a lifetime ago that you hear in current movies and Netflix. The music still works. 

The 10cc concert was a delightful surprise and shows that there is still a place for good artistry in a world of instant everything. Thursday night we found ourselves captured in a timeless moment that was everything but instant. I'm happy that you were there Bob, supporting good live music like we were. 

David Chatfield, Harmony Records. 

_________________________________

I'm really sorry I didn't catch this tour.  

I knew ALL about 10CC from the outset because I knew ALL about Graham Gouldman's songwriting prowess ("Bus Stop," "Listen People," "Look Through any Window," "No Milk Today," "For Your Love," etc., and I knew Eric Stewart had been in the Mindbenders ("Groovy Kind of Love"). I even had (and still have) "The Graham Gouldman Thing" album, on RCA, production credit: Peter Noone.  I got the first UK label singles and the first two albums - which I believe were through London in the USA,  not Mercury.  Harvey Lisberg, who managed both Herman's Hermits and 10CC, and therefore also Graham Gouldman (I think they might have even been brothers-in-law at one point) knows more about the move from UK to Mercury.  I interviewed Jonathan King back then for, I think maybe Zoo World, in the UK label's NYC offices.  A likeable and very smart record guy with great ears who went through some rough times later in life but is still around today.

There's so much great music in the 10CC catalog, but I usually go all the way back to "Rubber Bullets" and "Donna."  

Toby Mamis

_________________________________

From: Jonathan King

Thanks for the mention in your wonderful review of 10cc.

Had lovely lunch with Graham a few months ago.

All members of 10cc (my name) still speak to me. The problem is - none of them speak to each other!

I wanted them (and Genesis) to do a VOYAGE (we published Abba and I used to pick singles from demos) - so brilliant but better suited to my two bands - both of whom had spectacular solo careers as well as in groups. But only Graham agreed and even Peter G wasn't convinced (I fear Phil C will not be around much longer).

Nothing to do with me anymore. But I witnessed the pure joy at Voyage (still sold out every night). My music ought to be available to the future generations (most at Voyage were my grand children's age).

Anyway - again - so loved your review! Bet you wouldn't feel the same about an Iron Maiden gig.

JK
x

P.S. I had a dream that they were huge in America and there was a giant billboard in Times Square saying "10CC No1 on the Billboard chart". I phoned them the next day (having picked up Donna for release) and said "You have a name - 10cc".

One of STORM's first "hits" was the sleeve he did for me on Sheet Music (the name, by the way, should be said with a Mexican accent - sounding SHIIIIT!). One of the great things about 10cc was we shared an identical sense of humour. I was essentially the 5th member which was why it was so sad they were tempted away after two albums and then basically fell apart without me (as the "glue" - both personally and creatively).

--
Visit the archive: lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple: apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, Unsubscribe

To change your email address this link

No comments:

Sept. 18 - Bonobos’ first campaign since bankruptcy buyout | Suntory’s Japanese-style ad

Suntory juices up US canned cocktail launch with Japanese-style ad; Dentsu supports next-gen creatives with House of Cre...