Mailbag

Re: Bottlerock-Day 3

Had to take a second to comment about the band Cannons (who I am not aware of) and their "live" performance not being entirely live as you mentioned in your Bottle Rock review. 
Thank you for calling that out. I have been on a soap box now for years about the massive epidemic of bands playing to tracks. Live shows not being live at all. It floors me how many look the other way at this or are just plain ignorant. In pop the ship has sailed. Remember the outrage when Ashlee Simpson was exposed on SNL? Now today's biggest acts charging thousands for their "live" shows are blatantly lip synching and way more. And most don't even care if they are caught because nobody says anything. It's just the new accepted norm for a live performance to be anything but.   How on earth can people spend so much money on a live show only to actually hear a pro tools playback?? What is the point of going to hear a band sing and play live if it's not live and will be exactly the same every single night ? 

I deal almost exclusively in the world of rock, where thankfully there are still many truly all live bands. But that genre is also starting to be inundated with track acts. Make no mistake I am not talking about a keyboard or orchestra part in one song. Or some effects, samples or loops. I have no issue with that. But now tons of bands in rock are doing way way more and it blows my mind how people talk about how great they sound. I'd sound great too and I can't play or sing! Also makes me crazy when I hear people say "well everyone does it". WRONG! You know how many acts I talk to who put the work in to play totally live, then on a festival watch a band play to tracks before or after them and have to hear how good they were. It's true madness and why some of the real live bands are starting to speak out. Or at least proudly state there are no "tapes" in their show. Promoters don't seem to care as long as seats are filled. So the only line of defense left is fans and media caring. Someone has to draw a line in the sand with this nonsense. If they don't the beauty of a truly live warts and all concert is going to be quickly behind us. In pop it pretty much is. In rock maybe 50% - 60% gone. And growing. There is absolutely nothing that beats the experience of a truly live rock show. But if people don't start taking a stand it will soon be a rarity and that is truly sad. Let's keep live shows actually LIVE! Seems ridiculous to say but sadly where we are these days. 

Eddie Trunk
TrunkNation SiriusXM 

__________________________________________

From: Charlie Brusco
Subject: Re: Bottlerock-Day One

Stevie is the Real Deal

.... I remember that every day when I talk to my daughter Rhiannon

Still kind of funny as big as that song is that so many of my daughters teachers could never pronounce her name

Probably same for kids born in the 70's whose parents named them Aja.

Cheers,
Charlie

__________________________________________

Subject: Stephen Sanchez

Morning Bob,

Just read your letter regarding Bottlerock, great festival.

I just Tour Managed Stephen's Australian tour last month, where every single show sold out. He is a generational talent, 21 years old and literally the absolute nicest young man you could ever meet.

I sat and watched him perform every single night and it reminded me of watching Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis all in one. If he smashes album two out of the park, he will be in another stratosphere. 

I have never seen anything close to Beatlemania, but after and before every show, that is what it was like, the fans adore him and know how true the talent is.

I'm watching on, hoping that we get to see him take off, as true talent like that is as rare as hens teeth.

Thanks Bob,

TB
Todd Burman
TOUR MANAGEMENT
RIVAL SONS | Ian Munsick | Stephen Sanchez | Morgan Evans 

__________________________________________

Subject: Re: Bottlerock-Day 3

Bob, 

Really loved reading these daily wrap ups, as I feel the same about the festival itself and every act as you did. You described it perfectly. They do the VIP and Platinum levels brilliantly, but if you're GA, it's still an incredible place to be and watch music. Outside of the music, there are so many other things to do and see to captivate you. 
And the food and drinks are levels above the other festivals, because…well, it's Napa. My wife pointed out how friendly and helpful each and every person working there was, and that translated to the attendees as well. And the Culinary Stage is such a great pairing of musicians, chefs, athletes, and other celebs, that it is pretty captivating as well. 
Every year I leave that festival, I feel like I just had an incredible experience that you just can't get at any of the others. Bourbon & Beyond comes close though. 

Glad you had fun there. 
Danny

Danny Cooper
88 Vines Entertainment

__________________________________________

From: John Brodey
Subject: Re: Re-Bill Maher/Television

I didn't think it was just me. I ran into him at Arianna Huffington's house in W. Hollywood during a fundraiser for Barbara Boxer way back. Not a huge gathering. He was alone/ I introduced myself and asked a fairly provocative political question. He looked at me for two seconds, turned around and walked away without a word. An arrogant, self absorbed asshole, as the crowd said.

__________________________________________

From: Romy Glazer
Subject: Community Story -- do you believe in Joe Hendry?

Here's a fun one for you Bob re: community and going deep with your audience.

I'm working with a professional wrestling organization, Total Nonstop Action (TNA - yes, TNA), and we have a Scottish wrestler Joe Hendry whose gimmick is a quasi whitemeat rock star. He writes songs making fun of his opponents. Classic.

His character is a little goofy in-good-fun. When he comes to the ring, his theme is "I believe in Joe Hendry" ::clap, clap:: which gets the fans into it before it turns into a Queen-style ballad.

The song starts with "...say his name and he appears..." so we have often had him pop up randomly on screen when this happens to make the audience crack up. Of course now they've been meme'ing Joe's face into unexpected situations on TikTok, which has turned into a viral moment.

Trying to figure out what to do with this success, Joe released his theme as a single, and rallied his fans to push his theme to the Charts. It's cooled off in the past week, but I think he hit as high as #4 -- ahead of Sabrina Carpenter, Beyonce and more. And now a profile in NME and on the BBC. Proud of the guy. 

100% all about getting a groundswell going, and feeding into it. 

It may surprise you, but professional wrestling is scripted -- and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the thing that convinces our creative team to put the belt on him, leading to more career success and fun for everyone.

Thanks for all the great insight. 

-Romy

__________________________________________

Re: Bottlerock-Day 3

I saw Ed Sheeran at Boston Calling on Friday night with my daughter. She loves him and knows every song. 

I was not as familiar with his material. But, after seeing him live, I'm now a fan. 

Ty Velde

__________________________________________

Re: Bottlerock-Day 3

Love Cannons, I've listened to that more than any other act this year.  Check out some of the music videos on YouTube. They're fun :) I look forward to them!!

Michael Graham

__________________________________________

From: John Hamilton
Re: Bottlerock-Day 3

He Bob - 
Appreciate your honest take on things. I probably agree about 60% of the time. But, I appreciate your approach. Digging your take on BottleRock (again, even if I don't agree). 

Some of my thoughts:

1.This is my 4th BottleRock with my son (now 11). We took him when he was 3, but this was his first time going all three days. He was a trooper. And had a blast. I refer to BottleRock to my friends as the anit-festival. It's not like any other music festival. Super family friendly. Super chill. I almost wouldn't want to play this festival if I were an artist. I suspect they are paid super well for this festival though. The only I've met a more disinterested crowd at a festival is at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, which is free, so people just show up and sorta listen to music while they play Worldle. It's better than that, but not much better. Still, it's a pretty chill festival as festivals go and it's a great way for me to experience a passion of mine with my son. 

2. I hear you on Ed Sheeran. Man, that dude is talented. First time seeing him. My son will tell you his favorite artist of the weekend was his favorite artist, The Kid Laroi. But, he grooved to Ed Sheeran. He was dancing the entire time. And as Eddie Vedder says, "all that's sacred comes from youth." Follow the kids like. And, I love Ed Sheeran's whole vibe. He's an entertainer. He puts on a show. I left a fan and super impressed. I will take my son to see him again, I am sure of it. 

3. As you say, Pearl Jam are gods to a certain demo. And I am that demo. If you are a white male gen-xer, you are likely in that demo. And man do they have the crowd feeding from their hand. You probably left in the midst of playing their newer stuff. I love the new album, but it's not Ten for sure. Still, it's the album I needed this year (wreckage and setting sun crush me). It was my son's first time seeing Pearl Jam and it was a highly emotional experience for me. I don't want to push Pearl Jam on anyone. But, it was really the highlight of my weekend to experience singing along to Porch with my son. We sang these words to each other: "Take a good look. This could be the day. Hold my hand. Walk beside me. Oh. I just need to say: I could not take, a-just one day, knowing I would never touch you, hold you, feel you in my arms. Ever again! Again!" I am tearing up just writing that. It was awesome. But, I get it. I think Pearl Jam distinctly speaks to Gen X in a way that only Gen X can possibly get. They don't play for the masses, they play for the fans. For instance, that was a pretty typical festival set. But, they kicked off with Lukin, a hard charging, punk influenced song that is not a hit or even a b-side. They typically open with a few slow songs. In fact, my son was like, "I think they will open fast." And, I was like, "no, they always open slow, unless they are trying to make it special." That's the first time ever they've opened with Lukin. My son's 3rd favorite PJ song. He loved it. And fans loved it. But, I get they are not for everybody. But they were for me and it was awesome. 

4. MMJ. I am so glad you got to see them. I never got them until I saw them live at Lolla 2007 (the slot before Pearl Jam actually). They were awesome. And I've been a fan ever since. I hope you got to see Phone Went West. That was a highlight for me. MMJ was the highlight for the weekend for me. And I am a huge Pearl Jam fan. 

5. Stevie Nicks was great. I love Stevie. I love Rumours. I am of the belief that Rumours is the best pop album ever made. I love the conversation between Stevie and Lindsay throughout the album. But, Bella Donna makes it clear that Stevie is the star. She is so awesome. I dug her set. 

6. My son got to see his favorite artist The Kid Laroi. He is not really my music. But, if you've ever seen someone you loved experience the first time seeing their favorite artist live....well that is just an experience that is worth having regardless of how you feel about the band itself. 

7. Nelly was so packed. So so so packed. it was crazy in there. 

__________________________________________

From: Peter Clare
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2

Your going to get trashed by Pearl Jam fans, and deservedly so, however, the one thing you are right about is the stache. ;-)

__________________________________________

From: Wyllys Ingersoll
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2

You're gonna hear a ton of grief from the Pearl Jam die-hards about this one... 

They did indeed play a bunch of crowd pleasers in the Bottlerock set - small town, daughter, given to fly, wishlist, even flow, black, crazy mary, alive. Last Kiss is drek to most of the hard core, btw.  It's really off-brand for them, I know it went to #1 (their only #1), but it blows.  

You are right about Mike M being the stick that stirs that drink, especially the live shows, but it's not fair to tarnish Mother Love Bone - they failed because their singer OD-ed, not for lack of talent.

Your opinions of EV and his facial hair or whatever he was in high school are what they are, your opinions, but you seem to have a special personal dislike for the guy that seems unearned unless there is a story you aren't sharing that would shed light on your animus for the man.

Anyway, as always, I appreciate your writeups even when I don't agree.
Cheers.

__________________________________________

From: Jarred Arfa
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2

Don't work with PJ (wish we did)  but when you ask where are the songs ? Just checked setlist they played alive , even flow, black, caught up (all ubiquitous songs for anyone listening to music in the 90s) not to mention classic live songs like elderly women, given to fly and courdoroy. My generation didn't get plant, Morrison or Freddy but Eddie is the closest thing we got…

__________________________________________

From: Russ Dugoni
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2

Bob--   I was right there with you on Day 2. My Morning Jacket is a band that must be experienced live to "get it".  I first saw them in 2007 at the annual Bridge School Benefit and I was really impressed with Jim James.  This coming week they are recording their Fillmore shows -- keep am eye out for the finished product.

I too left Pearl Jam early to see Tower of Power with my 2 sons. Tower of Power played my bay area high school in 1971, and I've gone on to see them dozens of times.  Their Bottlerock stage was a party!
Pearl Jam is not a band in my wheelhouse, I was not into Grunge.  I was born in 55 so perhaps I was too old when Grunge was popular.  Keep up the great newsletter!     -Russ

__________________________________________

From: Patti Martin
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2

Your Eddie Vedder comment…. I could NOT agree more.   It's a relief that I'm not the only one.  (And we appear to be the same age)

__________________________________________

From: Bob Davis
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2

PJ never really had any songs worth a repeat listen.

And Vedder's no more than a mumbler.

__________________________________________

From: Bob Davis
Re: Bottlerock-Day One

L&L comes on the sonos or pandora or whatever (dopamine hit) … i stop what i'm doing and let it wash through me entirely before resuming. 

__________________________________________

Re: Bottlerock-Day One

Agree Pete Yorn has largely been disappointing since his great debut over 20 years ago . The material just hasn't been there and it was telling that the covers album he did a couple of years back has the worst version of "Lay Lay Lay" ever recorded. So his choices are questionable.

I can't separate Stevie Nicks from Lindsey Buckingham , he took the raw material and turned it into timeless classics. 

Enjoy the rest of the fest 

Blair Morgan

__________________________________________

From: Gary Mendel
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2 (Jerry Lee Lewis)

I remember reading that article at the time and being totally shocked. It rang so true. Over the years I've mentioned it to many people but NO ONE seemed to have heard about it/read it. Only recently I spoke about it again, which prompted me to search online for it. It's there alright, so now I have it bookmarked for easy access. A great piece of writing/journalism. It still reads like a horror story... the story of a man who got away with murder.
www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/the-strange-and-mysterious-death-of-mrs-jerry-lee-lewis-179980/

Peace
Barry

__________________________________________

From: Alan Childs
Re: Bottlerock-Day 2

In your embarrassment upon realizing it was Jos? Andrès , this triggered a memory. 

Back in the 90's while on tour, friends & I went to the China Club in L.A. on our night off. I believe it was a Monday & a Jam session night. When we walked in, Rick James was singing and some of my fellow New York musician friends were onstage as the house band.  

Having a drink enjoying the music, I looked around and noticed two attractive women & a guy sitting between them. I'm thinking I know the guy. Maybe he's an engineer I worked with at a recording studio. I just couldn't place where we met. After about 15 minutes I walked over to him and introduced myself and asked him if we've ever worked together. He eyed me up & down and said " I don't think so, I would've remembered you." He stood up to shake my hand and said "Nice to meet you, I'm Ron Jeremy." OMG !!!!!! hahahaha. 

__________________________________________

Subject: RE: Me On CNBC

Bob
 
Spot on re your criticism on CNBC of shows in the UK where multiple ticket agencies are selling tickets on the primary market to the same show and have their respective allocations. From a consumer perspective, it's a complete pain in the arse (or "ass" if you prefer on your side of the pond!) to jump through the hoops of going from one agency website to the next in search of the ideal seats. And, entirely unsurprisingly, the ticketing fees borne by the consumer are much of a muchness as between the different agencies. The ticketing grass is not necessarily greener on this side of the Atlantic.
 
Best wishes
 
Nick Shilton
Kingmaker Management, London, UK

--
Visit the archive: lefsetz.com/wordpress/
--
Listen to the podcast:
-iHeart: ihr.fm/2Gi5PFj
-Apple: apple.co/2ndmpvp
--
www.twitter.com/lefsetz
--
If you would like to subscribe to the LefsetzLetter,
www.lefsetz.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1

If you do not want to receive any more LefsetzLetters, Unsubscribe

To change your email address this link

No comments:

June 25 - Chili’s video game slams rising fast food prices | Chipotle extends Celebrity Card to fans on social

Chipotle extends coveted Celebrity Card to fans on social media; WPP promises brands ‘exponentially more content’ with A...