Weekly newsletter: How this works

This week: why artists need pockets, good books to read and write, eye candy, and more...

View this email in your browser
A newsletter from the desk of Austin Kleon
what I share

Hey y'all,

Here are 10 things I thought were worth sharing this week: 

  1. How I put this weekly newsletter together.
     
  2. I finished David Sedaris's Calypso (which might be my favorite book of his) and Michael Kupperman's graphic memoir, All The Answers.
     
  3. If I gave every American a summer reading assignment, this is what it'd be.
     
  4. "Want to make great art? Stop making art" is an excerpt from Roman Muradov's book, On Doing Nothing. Muradov talks about some of my favorite books (Lynda Barry's What It IsIvan Brunetti's Cartooning, Italo Calvino's Six Memos for the New Millennium, Tove Jansson's Moomin, Mary Ruefle's Madness, Rack, and Honey, Calvin Tomkin's Duchamp, Peter Turchi's Maps of the Imagination, and more) so reading parts of it was almost like I'd handed another author my personal bibliography and he'd written a book from it! I enjoyed it.
     
  5. Six books we could all write. (I've been meaning to check out Madrid's Try Never.)
     
  6. 10 arguments for deleting your social media accounts. I started Lanier's book, but it was a little too rambling for me. (I did enjoy this interview and his book, You Are Not A Gadget.) 
     
  7. How Frank Chimero designs a poster. (I can relate to his "once through, cleanly" method.)
     
  8. Eye candy: Agnés Varda and JR's Faces Places, a sweet film celebrating art, friendship, and ordinary people in the south of France, is now streaming on Netflix. (My favorite line: "Chance has always been my best assistant.") If you enjoyed the movie, JR's instagrams of the two are pretty adorable.
     
  9. Crazy Walls: a blog "cataloguing the walls that obsessives in movies and TV shows cover in newspaper clippings, photos, string, maps, post-its, etc." (Inspiration for my bulletin board.)
     
  10. Artists need pockets.
Thanks for reading! If you like this newsletter and want to support it, forward it to a friend, buy a book, or tweet me some love.

If you're seeing this newsletter for the first time, you can subscribe here.

xoxo, 

Austin

PS. Friends in Chattanooga: in a few weeks I'm chatting with the mayor about Steal Like An Artist at the Chattanooga Public Library. RSVP here.

Austin Kleon is the author of Steal Like An Artist and other books.

Subscribe to this newsletter

 
Twitter
Website
Instagram
Copyright © 2018 Austin Kleon, All rights reserved.

My mailing address is:

Austin Kleon
4301 W. William Cannon Dr.
Suite B 150 #241
Austin, TX 78749

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

No comments:

Re-JD Souther

Bob: JD was a crusty cowboy whose machismo rivalled Steve McQueen, Harrison Ford and Jack Nicholson. David Geffen and I thought if we could ...